Roasted Chicken Thighs with Lemon and Oregano
- 4 Large or 8 small boneless skin on chicken thighs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tsp. + 2 Tbsp. Ghee Divided
- 1 Lemon, thinly sliced, deseeded
- 1/2 Cup chicken broth (page 189)
- 3 Sprigs oregano, destemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. shallot minced
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
2. Season thighs with salt and pepper
3. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add teaspoon ghee.
4. Add chicken and cook skin side down 10 minutes or until cooked halfway through, allowing it to render and brown. Pour o excess fat to maintain thin coating in pan.
5. Scatter half of the lemon slices over chicken and half on bottom of skillet (top slices will so en; those in skillet will caramelize).
6. Transfer skillet to oven, leaving chicken skin side down. Roast 6–8 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, skin is crispy, and lemon slices on bottom caramelize.
7. Place the chicken pieces skin side up and caramelized lemon slices on warm platter. Leave lemon slices in skillet.
8. Heat same skillet on medium-high. Add broth, oregano, shallot, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
9. Stirring frequently, cook 1 minute or until sauce slightly reduces.
10. Stir the tablespoon of the lemon juice into mixture and season with salt and pepper.
11. Turn off heat and add 2 tablespoons ghee, stirring to combine.
12. Return the chicken to skillet skin side up to rewarm.
13. Top chicken with caramelized lemon slices.