Apple Cider Brine Baked Turkey
PREP TIME: 2–3 DAYS (NOTE: THIS NEEDS TO BRINE FOR 2 DAYS.)
COOK TIME: 2½–3½ HOURS, DEPENDING ON SIZE OF TURKEY
- 2 ∕3 Cup kosher salt
- 6 Quarter size slices fresh ginger.
- 2 Bay leaves
- 6 Cloves of garlic
- 1 T S P. black peppercorns, Crushed
- 2 T S P. whole allspice
- 8 Cups of unsweetened apple cider
- 2 Oranges quartered
- IN A 2-QUART saucepan, place salt, ginger, bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns, and allspice. Add apple cider and stir to combine.
- BRING TO A boil over medium-high heat, stirring until salt dissolves. Boil for 3 minutes, then remove from heat.
- ADD 4 CUPS ice-cold water, stir, and set aside to cool.
- DOUBLE UP PLASTIC turkey bags and place them into a roasting pan. Stuff the turkey with orange quarters. Place turkey in the bags, pour over the prepared brine and add another 2 cups cold water. Close the inside bag, removing as much air as possible. Secure with a twist tie. Place turkey breast side down in the pan.
- TURN 3 TO 4 times while bringing over the next 2 days.
- BEFORE BAKING, REMOVE turkey from bags; discard bags and rinse turkey in cold water.
NOTE: If you have a probe thermometer, insert it into the thickest part of the breast when you reduce the temperature. Set the thermometer alarm (if available) to 161°F