Apple, Leek & Butternut Squash Gratin
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 65 MINUTES
- 3 TBSP. Coconut oil
- 2 Medium leeks (white part only, well-washed, trimmed of roots and tough outer leaves, thinly sliced crosswise.
- Coarse salt and ground pepper to taste
- ½ Cup apple cider
- 1 TBSP. chopped fresh sage, plus leaves for garnish.
- 1 LB. Butternut squash peeled seeded and sliced 1/8 inch thick.
- 3 Small apples (E.G., gala), peeled, halved, cored and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices.
- ½ Cup dairy-free parmesan
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350°F.
- IN A 10-INCH skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add leeks and 2 tablespoons water; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
- ADD APPLE CIDER and sage. Cook until liquid is reduced to a glaze, about 3 minutes; set aside.
- IN A 2-QUART shallow baking dish, arrange squash in overlapping layers; season with salt and pepper. Spread leeks evenly over the squash. Arrange apples in an overlapping layer over the leeks. Brush apples with remaining tablespoon of oil. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake 45 minutes.
- UNCOVER AND SPRINKLE cheese over the top. Raise the oven temperature to 450°F and bake 10 minutes or until the “cheese” has melted and is golden brown. The tip of a paring knife should easily pierce the gratin.
- LET COOL 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with sage leaves.
Dairy-Free Parmesan Topping
- ½ Cup nutritional yeast1 Cup raw unsalted cashews
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- PUT ALL INGREDIENTS in a food processor or blender; process just a few seconds so it is crumbly.
- STORE IN AN airtight container in the fridge.
NOTE: Butternut squash boosts this recipe with beta-carotene and vitamin C. To cook gratin in advance, prepare through step 2, cover, and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.