Bison Burger with Porto Bun
- 4 Large portobello mushrooms
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 TSP. + 2 TSP. + 1 TBSP. COCONUT OIL
- 1⁄4 Cup onion, finely diced
- 2 Cloves garlic minced
- 1⁄2–3⁄4 Lb. ground bison (can sub other ground meat)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp smoky spice blend (page 185)
- Lettuce of choice
- 2–4 Red onion ring slices
- 2 tomato slices
- Paleo mayo (storebought or homemade page 178)
- dijon mustard
- avocado herb dressing (page 170)
1. Preheat cast-iron skillet to medium heat.
2. Use a teaspoon to gently scoop brown bristle out of mushrooms (the bristle holds moisture and will create a soggy bun).
3. Salt and pepper mushrooms.
4. Melt a teaspoon of the coconut oil in a cast-iron skillet.
5. Cook portabello mushrooms 3 minutes per side. Set aside and keep warm.
6. In a hot skillet, add 2 teaspoons coconut oil followed by onions and garlic. Cook until onions begin to color.
7. In a medium bowl, combine caramelized onion and garlic mixture with ground meat, teaspoon salt, and Smoky Spice Blend.8. Form into 4 evenly sized patties.
9. In the same skillet used to cook onions, add a tablespoon of coconut oil
10. PLACE PATTIES in a pan and cook 4 minutes on each side.
11. REST PATTIES at least a minute before forming the burger.
1. Place portobello mushroom on a plate.
2. Add burger and top with le uce, red onions, tomato, and avocado or Guacamole.
3. Add condiments of choice and top with second po obello mushroom.