Roasted Herb Butter Chicken
- One 3-5 lb. chicken
- 1 lemon sliced into rounds
- 2 sprigs rosemary + 1 Tbsp chopped
- 2 Sprigs thyme + 1 Tbsp. chopped
- 6 Tbsp Butter softened
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
3. Create "bed" for chicken to roast on by placing lemon slices and 1 sprig each rosemary and thyme on bottom of roasting or cast-iron pan. Add 1⁄4 cup water.
4. Use your hands to gently separate skin from meat on breast, legs, and thighs. Do your best not to pe orate the skin.
5. In a small bowl, combine butter, parsley, thyme, rosemary, 3 garlic cloves, and 1⁄2 teaspoonn salt.
6. Rub half herb-bu er mixture under chicken skin and the other half on top of skin to coat entire chicken.
7. Gently open the chicken cavity and season with salt and pepper. Stu with onions, garlic, and remaining rosemary and thyme sprigs.
8. Tie up the legs with kitchen twine. Season out- side with remaining salt and pepper.
9. Roast 30-45 minutes, depending on size. Chicken is cooked through when it reaches 165° F.
10. Remove from the oven and rest chicken on counte op 10 minutes before carving.