Green Bean Casserole
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 25 MINUTES
- 1 LB. fresh green beans
- 8 OZ. roughly chopped mushrooms
- 4 OZ. prosciutto
- 1 Cup yellow onions, thinly sliced
- ½ Cup shallots, finely chopped.
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- ½ Cup almond meal
- 1½ Cup unsweetened nut milk
- 1½ Tsp. Sea salt
- 2 Tsp. Cracked black pepper
- 2 TBSP. Coconut oil
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Aluminum foil will not work.
- DRIZZLE TABLESPOON OIL over the thinly sliced yellow onions and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sea salt. Massage oil and salt evenly into the onions with hands. Spread onions evenly on baking sheet.
- BAKE 30 MINUTES, removing from oven and stirring/flipping every 10 minutes. You’re looking for a brown/crispy texture. Note: Cook for an additional 5+ minutes if they aren’t crispy enough.
- BRING A LARGE pot of water and salt to a boil.
- ROUGHLY CHOP THE prosciutto and add to a sauté pan on medium-high heat. Lightly crisp the prosciutto then add the chopped shallots. Once the shallots are slightly clear, add the minced garlic. After a few minutes, add the mushrooms and continue to stir on medium-high heat.
- CUT GREEN BEANS in half and add to boiling water. Boil for 5 minutes, then remove from the water and place in a bowl.
- ONCE MUSHROOMS COOK down to a golden color, remove entire prosciutto/shallots/garlic/ mushroom mixture and set aside in a separate bowl.
- WITH HEAT ON medium-low, add 1 tablespoon oil and 1 cup milk. Stir with a metal whisk. Add half almond meal and whisk until it dissolves. Carefully add remaining milk and almond meal, whisking over a medium simmer. Add ½ teaspoon sea salt and 2 teaspoons pepper. Whisk until gravy thickens to the texture of heavy cream.
- REDUCE HEAT AND add prosciutto/shallots/ garlic/mushroom mixture and stir to combine. Add the green beans to the sauté pan and stir.
- POUR THE ENTIRE mixture into a medium-sized casserole dish. Cover with aluminum foil or the lid (if you have one) and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- REMOVE THE FOIL/ LID and sprinkle the dried onions evenly on top. Place back in the oven for 5 minutes at 350°F uncovered.
More Snacks & Sides
Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device