This NativePath content is medically reviewed or fact-checked to ensure factually accurate information.
With strict editorial sourcing guidelines, we only link to academic research institutions, reputable media sites, and, when research is available, medically peer-reviewed studies. Note that the numbers in parentheses (1, 2, etc.) are clickable links to these studies.
The information in our articles is NOT intended to replace that of a qualified healthcare professional and is not intended as medical advice.
Green Garlic Soup
Prep Time: 10 MINUTES
Cook Time: 25 MINUTES
- 2 Tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 Head garlic, smashed
- 1⁄2 Onion sliced
- 1 Head broccoli, cut into medium chunks, (use peeler to slice stem into strips for soup)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3–4 Cups bone broth (page 188 or 189)
- 2 Cups Spinach
1. In a large pot over low-medium heat, melt ghee or coconut oil.
2. Remove outer layer of garlic and smash each clove with the widest part of knife.
Place garlic and onions in pot. Slowly cook 10 minutes or until garlic and onions get a li le color and are tender.
Add broccoli, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook 3 minutes.
Next, add enough broth to barely cover broccoli. Cook 8 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
Turn heat off, add spinach, cover, and steam 2 minutes.
NOTE: If you add broccoli florets and spinach too soon, they will turn brown. It is crucial to cook the greens properly.
7. Remove from heat and uncover. Let cook a few minutes before transferring to blender.
8. Working in 2-cup batches, transfer soup to a blender. Start on low and increase to high. Hold lid tightly with a kitchen towel to prevent splatter of hot liquid. Alternatively, use an immersion blender.
9. Serve in individual bowls.
10. Working in IN 2-cup batches, transfer soup to blender. Sta on low and increase to high. Hold lid tightly with the kitchen towel to prevent splatter of hot liquid. Alternatively, use an immersion blender.
This content is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical advice or to take the place of such advice or treatment from a personal physician. All readers/viewers of this content are advised to consult their doctors or qualified health professionals regarding specific health questions. Neither Dr. Chad Walding nor the publisher of this content takes responsibility for possible health consequences of any person or persons reading or following the information in this educational content. All viewers of this content, especially those taking prescription or over-the-counter medications, should consult their physicians before beginning any nutrition, supplement, or lifestyle program.