This NativePath content is medically reviewed or fact-checked to ensure factually accurate information.
With strict editorial sourcing guidelines, we only link to academic research institutions, reputable media sites, and, when research is available, medically peer-reviewed studies. Note that the numbers in parentheses (1, 2, etc.) are clickable links to these studies.
The information in our articles is NOT intended to replace that of a qualified healthcare professional and is not intended as medical advice.
Bison Burger with Porto Bun
- 4 Large portobello mushrooms
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 TSP. + 2 TSP. + 1 TBSP. COCONUT OIL
- 1⁄4 Cup onion, finely diced
- 2 Cloves garlic minced
- 1⁄2–3⁄4 Lb. ground bison (can sub other ground meat)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp smoky spice blend (page 185)
- Lettuce of choice
- 2–4 Red onion ring slices
- 2 tomato slices
- Paleo mayo (storebought or homemade page 178)
- dijon mustard
- avocado herb dressing (page 170)
1. Preheat cast-iron skillet to medium heat.
2. Use a teaspoon to gently scoop brown bristle out of mushrooms (the bristle holds moisture and will create a soggy bun).
3. Salt and pepper mushrooms.
4. Melt a teaspoon of the coconut oil in a cast-iron skillet.
5. Cook portabello mushrooms 3 minutes per side. Set aside and keep warm.
6. In a hot skillet, add 2 teaspoons coconut oil followed by onions and garlic. Cook until onions begin to color.
7. In a medium bowl, combine caramelized onion and garlic mixture with ground meat, teaspoon salt, and Smoky Spice Blend.8. Form into 4 evenly sized patties.
9. In the same skillet used to cook onions, add a tablespoon of coconut oil
10. PLACE PATTIES in a pan and cook 4 minutes on each side.
11. REST PATTIES at least a minute before forming the burger.
1. Place portobello mushroom on a plate.
2. Add burger and top with le uce, red onions, tomato, and avocado or Guacamole.
3. Add condiments of choice and top with second po obello mushroom.
This content is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical advice or to take the place of such advice or treatment from a personal physician. All readers/viewers of this content are advised to consult their doctors or qualified health professionals regarding specific health questions. Neither Dr. Chad Walding nor the publisher of this content takes responsibility for possible health consequences of any person or persons reading or following the information in this educational content. All viewers of this content, especially those taking prescription or over-the-counter medications, should consult their physicians before beginning any nutrition, supplement, or lifestyle program.