This NativePath content is medically reviewed or fact-checked to ensure factually accurate information.
With strict editorial sourcing guidelines, we only link to academic research institutions, reputable media sites, and, when research is available, medically peer-reviewed studies. Note that the numbers in parentheses (1, 2, etc.) are clickable links to these studies.
The information in our articles is NOT intended to replace that of a qualified healthcare professional and is not intended as medical advice.
Deep Fried Brussels Sprouts
Brussels sprouts are a great source of Antioxidants, Vitamin K, fiber and ALA, a healthy Omega 3 fatty acid. This flavorful low carb vegetable is a great side dish loaded with nutrients.
Prep and Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 Lb brussels sprouts
- Lard or bacon grease from properly raised pigs
- bacon or pork belly chopped into bite-sized pieces
- sea salt and pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- balsamic vinegar to drizzle on top
1. Cut fresh brussels sprouts in half.
2. Place in a deep fryer with lard. Add pork belly or bacon pieces. Note: If you don’t have a deep fryer, sauté brussels sprouts and pork belly pieces in a skillet using lard, bacon grease, or coconut oil.
3. Deep fry brussels sprouts with bacon pieces 2 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Remove from the deep fryer and toss in a bowl with salt, pepper, and garlic. Then drizzle with balsamic reduction to taste.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 2 g||4 %|
|Saturated Fat 1 g||5 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 2 mg||1 %|
|Sodium 19 mg||1 %|
|Potassium 186 mg||5 %|
|Total Carbohydrate9 g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2 g||7 %|
|Sugars 4 g|
|Protein 2 g||3 %|
|Vitamin A||7 %|
|Vitamin C||64 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
This content is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical advice or to take the place of such advice or treatment from a personal physician. All readers/viewers of this content are advised to consult their doctors or qualified health professionals regarding specific health questions. Neither Dr. Chad Walding nor the publisher of this content takes responsibility for possible health consequences of any person or persons reading or following the information in this educational content. All viewers of this content, especially those taking prescription or over-the-counter medications, should consult their physicians before beginning any nutrition, supplement, or lifestyle program.